Today marks the fifteen-year anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attack on the United States.
A lot has changed since this fateful day. Here are a few of my observations:
- the foundation of our reality and existence was shattered
- our sense of security was gone
- we experienced vulnerability, like never before
- as a nation, we prayed for God’s Mercy
- we experienced oneness with the world, with each other and with God
- However this reality did not last
- our sense of vulnerability turned into vengeance
- ego reinstated itself as the defining force, for who we were and what we did
- ego rebuilt our broken Country with nationalism, religious extremism, arrogance and prejudice
- in the end it became, ego vs ego
- with the mindset of a jihadist terrorist and the belief system of right-wing fundamentalists, this battle will never lead to Peace.
September 11th created a crisis that was perfect for Spiritual Renewal; one of humility, forgiveness, tolerance, love and understanding. We could have seen our world with new eyes, and heard the voices of our neighbors with new ears.
But for ego, that was impossible.
Can we try to recapture the humility and grace that came to us so unexpectedly, on that morning of September 11, 2001?
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.
To share, please click HERE.